Monday, April 16, 2007

Hanging On by the Claws

Two mornings ago, I was roused a little before 0430 (on a 24-hour clock; 4:30 AM local) for my guard shift. I dressed, and then stumbled up the stairs in the early-morning dim. As I reached the landing on the top, I saw something from the corner of my eye.

I whipped my head around, but there was nothing. Don't you hate that? Doesn't it freak you out? It certainly does, to me. I glanced around in every direction, just to be certain we had no rockets arcing in at me, and them ambled over to the edge. Standing there, looking out towards the south, I again saw something from the corner of my eye, and looked down.

There seemed to be something flapping a few feet underneath me. I clicked on my red headlamp, and shone it at the flap- which resolved itself into a cat, hanging on to the sandbags by its front claws, twisting a little in the breeze!

"Holy ----!" Then, it was gone. (I guess I scared her, too?) Since it was so late, I deemed the danger minimal, and switched over to white light, but could find no sign of the little cat anymore, either near me or at the bottom of the tower.

So, the next time you think you see something from the corner of your eye, as you turn your head- it's probably a cat. Spooky.

No comments:


HallowE09