Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Blackhawk Rule

We went to the range a few days ago. Davis was there the entire time, and R most of the time. Carlos showed up in time to put a few rounds downrange, too.

I moved the silhouette target in close to show Davis likely range for the little North American Arms .22 revolver. R fired his Hi-Point 9mm, but absolutely loved shooting my Ruger Blackhawk. I loaded the single-action with .38 Special wadcutters, but it's so smooth and accurate, he would have loved full-bore .357s, too.

Davis blazed away with his .40 S&W Sigma, too. (Hey, don't blame me! He didn't ask first.) He hopes to move up to a Glock eventually, but the boy just loves shooting.

Ah, to have that enthusiasm. I wonder if I ever loved shooting that much?

This range session definitely reinforced my belief that the little single-action revolvers are better than a dirty look, but hard to get into action quickly. Or, well, at anything further than a few feet. My preference would be something like a Beretta Bobcat, a small standard DA revolver, or a Kel-Tec P32. I carried a P32 years ago while on the job, but was almost "made" once, so I guess there is indeed a niche for the tiny NAA. Sigh.

2 comments:

Matt G said...

Try the P380. Same size (well, a sixteenth wider) as the P32, same weight, same length. On less shot.

I carry mine as backup at work, and as an "always gun" off-duty. I just put it in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, and it lives in my right pocket.

.380 ain't much, but it beats hell out of a .32.

J.R.Shirley said...

I have tried the P3AT. In fact, I assisted with the SWAT review of them. I have one.

I was especially speaking of what I would suggest for others. The P3AT is an expert's gun.


HallowE09