Saturday, July 14, 2007

Boom!

Two nights ago, I was tooling my way back to R's house for the night. I was traveling up North Belair Road, which is unlit at that point, and only a single lane in either direction. With a car approaching from the other lane, a rather large armadillo ambled out in front of me.

Couldn't dodge. Slamming brakes wouldn't have helped.

BOOM! I was really worried sick, until I could inspect the lower front skirt of the car.

Little varmint. I'm glad I killed so many of your kin, the last hunting season I spent in the woods. Preferred tool is a reduced recoil slug at 25 meters from a ghost-ring cylinder bore 12 gauge.

3 comments:

Tam said...

Slugs?

But what about buckshot?

Wouldn't unleashing a round of triple-aught blow every 'diller in the county into the past by ripping a hole in the space-time continuum?

phlegmfatale said...

It's amazing what inroads Armadillos have made in this country. When I was a kid in Arkansas and Tennessee in the 70s, you NEVER saw an armadillo up there.

Oh, and my dad kilt one with an expertly deployed coke bottle from about 15 yards, once. Yeah, he's a badass.

The Lily said...

Never saw any in NC, but I think I much prefer them to possums. Or it could just be the novelty of a walking speed bump.


HallowE09