Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Harry, Harry Potter

I finally got to hit the local YMCA two evenings ago. I'd forgotten how much I love lifting, and actually still felt the endorphin buzz for several hours afterward.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is the latest installment in the movie series. I could talk about the use of light and shadow, the colors, and the acting...but I won't. My roommate had complained that this movie was more about growing up than magic, but surprise! The books really are about the ability to escape a sordid and often taxing existence into magic, so I felt the movie was true enough to the books' intent. My only real complaint is about the end of the movie, which like The Matrix Reloaded, doesn't actually end: it just stops. If you like Harry Potter movies, you'll probably like this one. If you haven't seen any, this probably isn't the one to start with. 3/5 stars.

2 comments:

Snigglefrits said...

The "stop" at the end didn't overly please me either. I did enjoy it and having seen the previous movies a gazillion times thanks to the kids kept me from being lost during the movie.

Jenny said...

Still, the 'ending in the middle of an epic tale right after the bad guys scored a major point' has a fairly strong tradition in series films, yes?

Personally, I liked it better than any of the films since the first one. This time they seemed to be saying "let's convey the *feel* of the book rather than trying to squish in every cool scene the readers will remember" (unlike the Phoenix movie, which sacrificed mood I think).

(But yeah, it's easier when you've read the books and know what comes next. :p )


HallowE09