Thursday, January 8, 2009

Jesus and Real Men

Yesterday I was driving down Peach Orchard Road after leaving Buttress. I stopped at a red light, noticing the red Jimmy in front had a "Real Men Love Jesus" bumper sticker.

I put the car in park.
I opened my door.
I got out and walked to the driver's side of the SUV, and rapped on the window. Startled, the male driver looked over. I motioned for him to roll his window down.
I pulled my sunglasses off.

"I don't especially love Jesus," I announced quietly. "Are you saying I'm not a real man?"
He looked a bit nervous.
"No, sir. That's just my belief."
"Okay." I stalked back to my car before the light changed.



I may be wound a bit too tightly these days.

6 comments:

Don said...

Those Christians will bust a cap in you, son. Not a good idea.

J.R.Shirley said...

The injustice of it rankles, Don. The unthinking arrogance.

J.R.Shirley said...

Yuppers. I wouldn't have batted an eye at "I love Jesus and I'm a real man", or "I'm a real man who loves Jesus".

Brandon said...

The childishness of the behavior described in this post is remarkable. To purposely invite a public confrontation that could have quickly become violent, over a bumper sticker, is pretty low-brow. Your response was far worse behavior than what you consider to be the provocation, and amounts to little more than self-serving chest-thumping.

You present yourself here on this blog as an enlightened person, but this action stinks of the schoolyard behavior that you decry in more recent posts. All you accomplished with your behavior was to reinforce the very viewpoint you found so offensive in that bumper sticker.

Matt G commented that the man's response to your challenge was "ig'nant." There was more ignorance and unthinking arrogance on display in this incident than can be borne by that one man alone.

SpeakerTweaker said...

Not to mention the potential legal repercussions had the situation elevated to violence.

I know that, in TX, had he responded with attitude that put the situation to physical confrontation and you had drawn or fired your weapon, you would likely have been charged with a felony and spent some time in the clink for it.

I'd also suppose that the thought never crossed your mind that the owner of that Jimmy in front of you had lent it to his freshly-paroled felon brother to help him get back on his feet after serving time for (insert violent felony here).

I'm shocked that you approached the vehicle. I'm just really shocked.



tweaker

John B said...

I've thought of many reasons to get in someone's face in traffic, That's beats any of mine all hollow.


HallowE09