Sunday, April 15, 2007


I've been attempting to get into Temple University's Ph.D. program for the last two years. In 2005, there were months filled with uncertainty as to whether I would be allowed to continue my education as I became a reserve officer, or would be forced into service earlier. I allowed myself to become distracted by my situation, and did not turn in the application I should have. It must be obvious- since I'm here in @fghanistan- that Reserve Human Resources Command did not grant me permission to commission and continue my education, so learning I hadn't made the Temple program didn't smart as much.

I applied again. I did my best to submit a sterling application, to ask for not only the needed, but extra letters of reference from instructors at my university, and to send a detailed, thoughtful and intelligent entrance essay. My first inkling that my application might again not be going well was when I was home in December for leave. The History Department secretary handed me my ASU transcript- that had been sent to Temple- and returned. I began worrying.

I attempted to contact Temple's history graduate secretary by voice and email without apparent success. A few days later, she returned my calls, only to tell me I had only received one letter of reference. I knew at least four had been sent. I frantically scrambled to get more letters before I left again for @fghanistan, but I had a bad feeling.

I didn't make it again. My plans have changed somewhat, since I will have a wife after I get back, and plan to stay in Augusta while she finishes her BS. But this is Temple's loss, and one day I'll be sure to send them a letter thanking them for not accepting me.


Tam said...


Yeah, someday they'll shake their heads and think "He could've been our alumnus."


Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

Yay for me--well I mean I'm disappointed for you about Temple, but I'm selfishly glad that you'll be around Augusta a little longer (looking on the bright side). Some people talk about having a plan B. In my family we learn to have plan E or F...which leaves me to wonder what the point of planning is sometimes! SAS went to the zoo yesterday in Columbia for a gorilla tour. Wish you were with us!

jrshirley said...

Yeah, I think I'll wait until I'm a bestselling author (since military history outsells every other kind), and then, maybe, dedicate a book to them!

Doctor, I'm still unsure whether I'll take some classes from ASU for this coming year. I may, but regardless, I'll be around. And I'm delighted that I'll have more time to spend with you and "Doctor Ruth". The truth is, I had a few fallback schools, but they allowed later applications than Temple- and by the time I got back from Augusta in December, I realized I'd be around GA for another year, anyway.


Scorpio said...

KU wouldn't take my kid as an undergrad because he took one course via the U of MD when he was in the military. This made him a "transfer student" in their book, and even though he got an A, they rejected him.


Owen said...

Augusta? dang, that's close!

When you get back, we'll have to arrange a playdate at a range somewhere.