Saturday, January 14, 2012

For All These Things...

I have been moving a lot in the past 3 weeks. I realized about a week ago that I had already far exceeded my total air travel for the my last deployment! After just a few hours back at LNK, I was on the road again, headed for the other side of the country.

Bagram had a very cold spell, and the resulting weather added over a week to the usual travel time. I spent an extra 3 days trying to get to Bagram, and an extra 4 days trying to get out! I still count my blessings, though. I have had cover to keep the rain and snow off me, regular showers, and plenty of food.

During the process of moving around a country the size of Texas, I have not been able to bring many of the toiletries and comfort items that have been kindly sent to me at Camp Leatherneck, due to space constraints. A well-stocked USO is certainly a relief at these times. Here at a base in Dehdadi, I picked up a couple more razors, shampoo, lotion, soap, toothpaste. I usually use Gillette Aftershave, as I especially like following shaving with aftershave in this place, with its many particulates and contaminants. I was delighted to find some Mennen Afta aftershave here. It's really amazing how much something small can bring a smile.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

It's ALWAYS the little things :-) Stay Safe JR!

J.R.Shirley said...

Will do. :-)

Home on the Range said...

When you are away from home and familiar things, even small items of recognition and comfort are little blessings.


HallowE09