Saturday, December 6, 2008

Teach This

Today my classes were supposed to have a guest who would lead them in battling each other in a civil war battle using miniatures to represent forces. I was happy at the thought of taking a bit of a break and maybe catching up on some grading. As I drove into work today, it occurred to me: I should have had a backup.

I was a little surprised that my guest wasn't waiting or at least showing up soon after I arrived at Buttress at 0630. After a few minutes, I looked at the chapter- fortunately it was over the beginning of the Civil War- and quickly made up six questions whose answers could be found in a 30-page range. I had already begun writing them on the board when the history department chair leaned in and told me my guest would not be teaching today.

Okay. No problem.

And it wasn't.

No comments:


HallowE09