Saturday, March 29, 2008

I Do Movies...and stuff

The Dog Problem
Oddly enough, this piece starring Giovanni Ribisi was written and directed by the traditionally comedic fall guy Scott Caan. Ribisi is very good at playing funny-crazy guys who ripple with barely suppressed energy, and this piece is no exception.

This is an interesting mix of humor and acting, varying between light comedy to-- well, slightly heavier comedy. Not heavy fare, but surprisingly enjoyable. And it has a dog, one who doesn't overact. I love that in a role. Look for some funny cameos, and acting heavyweight Don Cheadle. Don't watch if you have a problem with nudity. 2.5 stars.


Reno 911! Miami
This is basically a double-length version of a tv show. If you like Reno 911, you will like it. Expect to see more flesh than the tv show, and of course, expect more language. If you are not familiar with Reno 911, expect silly and often infantile humor. I enjoyed it. You will probably love or hate it. A deceptive 2 stars.


Fracture
The second most frightening man in show biz (the first, of course, being Christopher Walken) is back. Anthony Hopkins plays an aviation engineer who methodically murders his wife. Ryan Gosling plays against him as prosecuting DA.

Hopkins is by turns charming, engaging, and very, very scary. Gosling acts in the Lucas Black model, as a sweet and earnest but slightly out of his league good old boy. I saw almost no previews on this movie, and some elements were predictable, but it's not a bad way to spend a few hours. 3.5 stars.

3 comments:

HollyB said...

I LOVED and I do mean, was absolutely thrilled to see Fracture on HBO. I think I've watched it 3 times now and I keep finding new gems I missed the first times I watched it.

It's not perfect, but I give it 3.75 stars out of a possible 4.

J.R.Shirley said...

Oh...I gave it 3.5/5. Still very good- I think I only give Man on Fire a 3.5.

JPG said...

Just recently saw Fracture for trhe second time.

I have to admit, I'm a hard sell on any movie that trades heavily on the newish crop of preetty boy actors. Which being said, I think the entire thing was redeemed by the efforts of Hopkins.

Best,
JPG


HallowE09