Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Sensei

Martial arts legend Dan Inosanto's daughter Diana Lee Inosanto wrote, directed, and co-starred in this 2008 movie set in the 1980s. I almost turned the movie off after the first two minutes, which look like they cost $50 to film. Fortunately, the rest of the movie doesn't look as noticeably cheap.

I was pretty sure I knew exactly what this movie would be like, and I expected just another twist on the wimp gets beaten, turns to martial arts teacher to learn to be a badass. While I was not necessarily wrong, the movie ended up being considerably more complicated than I expected. Several scenes were obviously based on real life crimes committed against homosexuals, and there were a few more twists I didnt see coming.

Low production value, but thoughtful and sometimes wrenching storyline. 3/5 stars. May be worth watching and discussing with older children, if you feel that vulgarity can be tolerated in the right setting.

PS- while I would never encourage reckless behavior towards others, if you're intolerant- you suck.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Eh- worth a look for the Grandson... He's getting to the age where he needs to start being more aware. He's also a brown belt right now.


HallowE09