Saturday, April 3, 2010

No Good Deed

Claire is having a girls' weekend in Boston. I left with plenty of time for my 0900 PT test, which was good, because I spaced and missed my exit. I still made my hit time.

One of the sergeants who was assisting with the test asked me to warm up the group, so I warmed them up and got them stretched before the Captain made it out. He walked by the group, eyeing us, saying he needed a class leader, preferably someone with experience. We did our pushups and situps, though I was a little disappointed that it was stressed that this was a pass/fail test, with no extra points for more than the minimum needed.

I ended up running a respectable 7:35 mile. Not stellar, but in the top 1/3 of the group. I walked around for a minute, and then jogged back to help encourage the stragglers to make it in time. I ran the last two in, with the chief just behind. I heard him check the last runner's time (she passed, with 19 seconds to spare), and then verify that I had already finished. He turned to me.

"You're class leader," he said. "March 'em back."

3 comments:

The Lily said...

I am so proud of you.

Matt G said...

You have long practice at being a leader.

Old NFO said...

Lead, follow or get out of the way... And you picked the one that WORKS for you! Go to it JR!


HallowE09