Friday, October 2, 2009

Blowing in the Wind

I was less than 15 miles away from reaching my trip destination in Smallville, NC, to see my lovely Claire.  I have never actually had a speeding ticket (that stuck, anyway!), but I began thinking about getting one, and what I would say, "I haven't seen my girlfriend in MONTHS, and I'm only x miles away...!"

I may have still been thinking these thoughts as I raced by a large gray SUV, noticing too late it was marked "NC State Patrol" on the side.  Oh, geez.  He immediately pulled in behind me, and my foot already off the gas, I pulled over to the right and looked for a good place to pull over.  I was already holding my directions showing I was only 12 miles away when the trooper pulled up next to me.  I sheepishly looked over, and he made a "brake down" gesture with his hand.  I nodded.  He left.

Soon afterward, my heart restarted with a thump, and I made it my last few miles without incident.  To Claire.  Woohoo!

3 comments:

Crucis said...

You're lucky he didn't see you with the map in your hand or you'd be toast.

Locally, more tickets have been issued for "driver impairment" meaning using a cell phone, eating, or other activities than have speeding and DUI tickets combined.

Yep, it's a real money maker. (I have to admit the woman driving down the Interstate reading a book did deserve her ticket.)

Old NFO said...

LOL- You're a lucky man on MANY counts...

The Lily said...

Drew and I are AGOG that he didn't get a ticket. Seriously, we were like, "How are you not in jail?"

That part of 85 is one of the more dangerous and there has been a huge crackdown in Rowan about speeding and safety in that particular stretch between there and here.


HallowE09