Saturday, September 13, 2008

, and Then You Die

I awoke yesterday morning, thinking that the sun was shining much too brightly. A glance at my cell phone informed me that I should have walked into Buttress High School six minutes previously. Uh-oh.

Thursday we had a very large fight involving thirteen students at Buttress. As I walked towards the office door Friday, I was startled and somewhat chagrined to see three Richmond County Sheriff's Department cruisers parked in the bus loading area. Dr. R. told me that there had been "credible threats" made, so without notifying him, the sheriff sent a bunch of deputies. I could tell this was going to be a wonderful day.

After teaching a few very rambunctious classes (one student was especially upset that I had called his grandmother to let her know he had been using the "n word" in class), I left early to make it to ASU for a seminar. As I drove, I opened the center console panel, and went cold inside. My .44 Special was missing.

I was almost to the college when I realized that my ACU bag I brought back from OEF was missing, too. I stopped at the college briefly, but in my state of mind, I knew I wouldn't get anything out of the lecture. I drove home just to double-check, and then called in a police report.

I was at "College Days" Thursday night especially to visit and talk to representatives from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill was one of only a handful of colleges that cancelled. While parked at the Civic Center, my bag with my computer and several books, as well as my .44, were stolen. The deputy I spoke with said that my battery for my remote might be dying, as when this happens, I might get an "armed" chirp without the doors actually locking.

Makes me sick, guys. I suppose this is the way of the world, that many, if not most, people will take what advantage they can, but that laptop has school and personal writing, and some pictures, that are irreplaceable. Theft sometimes not only takes things of value: sometimes it takes pieces of your life.

12 comments:

Douglas said...

Wow. I suppose you can take some comfort in the fact that the gun wasn't stolen by a student at Buttress. Petty theft is so frustrating, though.

J.R.Shirley said...

$1100 or so isn't petty to me...

Jenny said...

Crud. That's terrible, I'm so sorry. :(


Just had to submit a report myself - looks like my toolbag got lifted from my little car to. Honestly I could replace the tools easily enough, but that teddy-bear-n-flower-patched army toolbag had lots of well-earned grease-strained memories in it, darn it!

I get why people steal expensive things - I'll never understand why they grab the cheap but sentimental things to. Bother.

I hope you get your writings back.
And your gun.

But mostly your writings. That's a part of you that can't be nearly so easily replaced as a pistol.

Good luck!

J.R.Shirley said...

Thanks, Jen. I wasn't happy about the revolver, but the stuff on my computer...:-(

Jordyrrific! said...

Yeah, this sort of thing seems to be happening a lot lately. It seems you're not even safe when your car's at home!

Tam said...

Dude, that sucks. In a perfect world, instant karma would cause people that did stuff like that to immediately get run over by a bus or something...

phlegmfatale said...

Crap. I thought something was going on with my remote, too - came back to find my door unlocked more than once in the last few weeks. I'm really sorry you lost your personal effects. Glad you are safe, though.

J.R.Shirley said...

Miz R, I guess that puts it in perspective. No matter how highly I value my writings, I can always make more if I'm still here, I reckon. :-)

Matt G said...

I'm furious.

Roberta X said...

Bigtime suckage. At every level -- losing a nice sidearm is painful but writing, well, those words never come out the same way twice. I feel for you.

Assrot said...

I'm sorry to hear you were treated so badly. Being that I work in the Information Technology field, I learned the value of a good backup early.

I have seen so many people lose years of irreplaceable information, documents and pictures from lost or stolen computers. I know one fellow that lost his only copy of his doctoral dissertation 1 month before he was supposed to defend it. He did not have a copy. The poor guy lost it the day before he was to print it, bind it and turn it in for review.

My suggestion to you would be to invest in a 16GB USB key. I carry one everywhere I go and I have one at home in the safe as well. All important items from my computers go on that key and the key gets copied to the other key once a week.

A gun is easy to replace. Years of hard work and memories are not.

I do feel for you buddy. I wish I knew who did it. We'd ask the LEOs to go out for a cup of coffee while we gave the person a good old fashioned Georgia backwoods ass whoopin'.

Have a nice evening. Hopefully your stuff will turn up but I wouldn't count on it. My LEO family members tell me that people almost never recover their stolen items.

I would think that your car insurance should cover the monetary losses.

Joe

Timbo said...

Sucks about the theft. a couple of years back, some jackass stole my $15.00 jumpdrive that had a whole semesters worth of notes and stuff on it that I had to redo in three days, and I am telling you straight up that I have every intention of turning whomsoever admits that crime into a fine red mist. Theivery blows, man.

Also, I once woke up in exact sync with the alarm bell at the school, except I was home in bed. I can feel your pain on that one all too well..


HallowE09