Saturday, December 29, 2007

I Am Legend

I knew almost nothing about I Am Legend, except that Will Smith was the lead. Jordy told me that Will Smith played the last man on Earth. I was reminded of Children of Men, except with a single male and unknown numbers of female inhabitants instead of a well-populated, infertile adult population.

I like Will Smith, and I automatically give any movie with Will an extra half a star rating. (Full disclosure statement.) If you don't know anything about this movie, stop reading. Go see it. You'll thank me.






Still here? Minor spoilers follow. I was astonished (and delighted) to find the post-apocalyptic film I was watching featured vampires. Will Smith plays another superman, fitness-model buff scientist warrior Robert Neville. This is a much more full-flavored performance from Smith than the high-budget B flick Independence Day or unabashed money-making vehicles like Bad Boys.

These are the vampires the vamps in Thirty Days of Night wanted to be, vicious and utterly inhuman (but perhaps evolving). They do vocalize some, but since they no longer have human language skills, this actually makes some sense.

Great acting from Smith, excellent plot, pretty good gun handling, good special effects. And a dog, loveable Sam. This is a 4.5 out of 5 stars. They really don't get much better than that. See this film.

Rated PG-13 for intense action and genuine fright but little gore.

5 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Wow-- you managed to make it sound more exciting to me than the commercials did - didn't realize it was vampy. Will check it out.

J.R.Shirley said...

I was actually happy I knew so little about it. Definitely worth seeing, and I'll buy it later.

Unknown said...

I plan on seeing IAL this weekend. John, you may want to check out the original movie w/ Charlton Heston playing the lead. It was called The Omega Man. B movie, but not bad.

J.R.Shirley said...

The prior Last Man on Earth, in which Matheson actually wrote the screenplay, is also on my list to eventually see.

KrAzY3 said...

Wow, I didn't know I could reply without signing up (Google is taking over the internet).

Very different from Last Man on Earth. Video game graphics belong in video games. Otherwise it was a enjoyable movie...


HallowE09