Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Time Goes On

Last night, Sergeant Boy and I were talking as we sat in tower three.

"You know," he said, "I leave in two weeks. I've been here a year."
He turned to look at me, his eyes sad in the early evening dim.

"In that year, nothing seems to have changed. If we kill a bad guy, two replace him. I thought we could make a difference, maybe, but the only difference I've seen this year, is our FOBs have improved a little." He shrugged.

"I mean, I guess that's good, but the country doesn't seem to have changed any."



I've been unusually tired lately. Sergeant Boy mentioned he was very tired, too, so I don't know if it's the season changing, or burnout, or what.


Today, I walked around for an hour watching at the bazaar outside our gate. These people could almost sell ice to Innuit. I meant to buy one rug for Kim Breed, since I still owe him one, and a sleep shawl for Holly B., as the sleep shawl I was going to send her when I left country (I used it to cover my doorway) is the only thing I've been able to determine for sure is missing from my things. Instead of these two items, I seem to have left with...um...more. It started with the little Afghan boy selling bracelets. I didn't especially want one, but I bought one. I think I spent almost a week's pay today, which is over double what I'd planned.

For this enormous sum, I have a rug for Kim, a rug for myself, some more shemaughs to take back to the States with me, a tailored suit, male Afghan dress for myself, a gift for a friend's birthday, and maybe even something for the wonderful Miz Holly.

2 comments:

HollyB said...

Aw, shucks, John. That wasn't necessary. Whatever it is will certainly be appreciated.
Keep on bein' careful.

The Lily said...

People in the fertile crescent invented the concept of the bazaar. The wording used in transactions is an elaborate dance of flattery and negotiation.

It's fantastic to watch if you aren't on the buying end. Erm... which you were, so... sorry.

But it sounds like cool stuff! :)


HallowE09