Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Kuwait Sands

After traveling to the Kia airport, I handed off my Sappi hard plates for my body armor. I and my fellow travelers then waited for a few hours, until we suddenly were hustled out over the tarmac to the airplane.

Shuffling along in columns at almost a double time, in the dark and very thankful for my red LED-equipped mini Mag Lite, I thought to myself that this was just like the Army: after waiting for hours, we suddenly have to dash for half a mile! Then we were trampling up the ramp into the welcome light of the C-17 Globemaster's bay. Yay Air Force (incidental: most polite service encountered. Least polite: Marines)!

We were strapped in shortly afterward, happy to be in even cramped seating but outbound. As our wheels broke free at 2112 local, a spontaneous cheer broke from my and fifty other throats. At my front right, I could see Little Nicky's skinny arm raised high, giving Afghanistan the one-finger salute.

I'm in Kuwait now, and it's like living in a heater's blast. Fortunately, all the building have AC. And I'm almost home.


HollyB said...

YES,Yippee, and YAHOO!

Matt G said...

Brother, that's some damned good news.

I'd beg you to stay inside and not venture out, but I know your curious nature. Please maintain care, even in friendly Kuwait.

The Lily said...

Congrats! Where do you go from there? Germany and then the mainland?

Whatever your trip, I wish you safety and a smooth ride.

phlegmfatale said...


It'll be great to know you're back home soon. We're all so proud of you.

Jamie said...

Congratualtions, and many thanks.

scarlett said...

Thanks for all that you do

phlegmfatale said...

It's Memorial Day and I wanted to thank you again for serving our country and making the world a better place. :) Godspeed.